A letter to Harry Potter




Hello Harry,

I am not a fan. Well, to be honest with you, not even a follower. But I have seen the craze around me for you. When my cousins craved to read about your adventures, secretly hinting at birthday gifts which were meant to be surprises, I felt like a stone, unaffected by the wave passing by me.

At school, making an arc out of my eyes amid boring geometry classes, I found your stories have earned its place on my best friend’s lap. Yet another bag in the classroom had the books peeping out, anxious souls waiting for recess to dive into your magical world guarded by the yellow hardcover.

I have a different feeling about your entire world today. Growing up, I have finally realized that childhood is irreversible. In broken dreams, lost battles, unexpected heartbreaks and failed aspirations, I have often wondered if a little sprinkle of magic would have made me smile.

I must acknowledge you for being an outright winner in our times of ‘click and forget’. Your stories have given me belief, albeit from a distance, that the pages of a book can still breathe magic. I have smiled when heartbreaks in cricket or the ignorance of other sports made many seek refuge in reading about Quidditch.

Thinking about it, our worlds are similar, minus the magic of course. We fight the evil with the good and our minds still wander in dark places. Perhaps we needed someone like you with us today, to help us get rid of the many ‘Voldermots’ that rule our lands.

22 years is a long time. Still, as you celebrate yet another anniversary, the countless hearts that you have kept hypnotized with ‘Accio’ is commendable. Today, if your magic wand were capable of giving me a ticket to Hogwarts, I would have gladly accepted. Someday, I will try to know more about you and your world. Maybe then, I could claim myself to be a fan.

As of now, I will sign off as your critic. Hence, you can’t be perfect. Guess the score of your charms? 
9 3/4.


Comments

  1. Being a Potter head myself, I can't resist a chuckle while reading this piece. Appreciate your views

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

19 : Elements of Liverpool's title-winning campaign

Losing

Winter